Google
 

Friday, October 05, 2007

MARION JONES PLEADS GUILTY TO STEROID USE


Let's take a look back:Sydney 2000 olympics where Marion won five medals,three of which were gold.



Today Olympic track runner Marion Jones pleaded guilty to using steroids. The Canadian Press reports:


WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - For years, Marion Jones angrily denied using steroids. On Friday, she admitted it was all a lie.

The three-time Olympic gold medallist pleaded guilty to lying to federal investigators when she denied using performance-enhancing drugs, and announced her retirement after the hearing. Jones also pleaded guilty to a second count of lying to investigators about her association with a cheque-fraud scheme.

Outside the U.S. District Court, Jones broke down in tears as she apologized for her actions, saying she understands she has disappointed her friends, family and supporters.

"It's with a great amount of shame that I stand before you and tell you that I have betrayed your trust," Jones said, pausing frequently to regain her composure while her mother stood behind her, a supportive hand on her daughter's shoulder.

"I have been dishonest, and you have the right to be angry with me. I have let (my family) down. I have let my country down, and I have let myself down," she said. "I recognize that by saying I'm deeply sorry, it might not be enough and sufficient to address the pain and hurt that I've caused you.

"Therefore, I want to ask for your forgiveness for my actions, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

CONTINUE READING

HomePage

BookMark This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button